Thursday 19 January 2017

Expanding your Bubble


Breaking out of the comfort zone! Burst the bubble! Push the envelope! Expand your horizons... 

All of these great clichés exist because we each have a forte. That is great, and necessary, but don't be caught in your own bubble. Expanding your frame of reference is invaluable to your success as a researcher. Don't limit yourself in such a way that you stop learning.

I continually search for new ways to expand and improve my research. When I was finalising my Master's degree I had the idea of incorporating a little bit of network theory with my more traditional molecular biology work. Now I did not know anything about how to apply network theory (I still know very little) and had to go through a steep learning curve.

This started with learning the basics of programming, which I knew almost nothing of. I searched online for some tutorials/help and discovered the amazing world of MOOCs (Massive Online Open Course). Through one such a platform (Coursera) I did two courses that gave me a basic understanding of programming. From there I just tinkered with my data and continuously asked new questions. I tried various online tools, forums, tutorials and of course published scientific material. After about three months, and many late evenings, I finished what turned out to be the most expansive and rewarding chapter in my thesis. I discovered so many new avenues for my research which ended up being the foundation for my PhD project.

I could have saved myself a lot of effort and time by just doing what is expected... just another thesis. I would have passed and my supervisor would be happy but I would never have learned a new skill. Pushing the envelope allowed me to expand my skill set and identify new opportunities. I encourage you to do the same. 

Don't be afraid to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment